We have decided not to sell our house in Canada. Instead, we are renovating the basement and the upper level to be two separate rentable units.
We bought a washer and dryer to go upstairs. When we bought the house, the laundry was upstairs, but one of the renos I insisted on was moving the laundry downstairs, because it’s just what I know – washing clothes in a cold, stinky, cement room no one else uses. So we already had the hookups upstairs and down, just needed the appliances. Thank you kijiji.
We’ve also changed the locks for the whole house, as well as put double sided locks on the door separating the two units. Here is what the upstairs looks like:
Downstairs is quite another story. Here is a photo journey of the downstairs’ progression.
…to a simple, clean, bedroom of large proportions. Hmmm, I can’t seem to find a photo. I’ll add one later. In the meantime, you can use your imagination.
All we had to do was move all our junk (and stuff for sale on kijiji) into the other room, paint the walls my favourite Ivory Cream, paint the trim my second favourite Delicate White and we were off to the races. Next we hired the same people to put in the same carpet we already have in the rest of the basement, into the large bedroom.
And voila! Master bedroom is ready!
Of course, the most costly, and time-consuming project has been the kitchen. We were happy to discover that although our house was already zoned correctly, the basement kitchen area already had the necessary plumbing and electrical components needed to fulfil the code requirements. The previous tenants had put a wet bar and book shelves in over top of where their kitchenette had been:
When we took out the wet bar and the humungous built-in bookshelves, we found a 220 volt plugin for the stove, five power outlets (the breakers for which had left us very confused!) and of course the necessary plumbing for a kitchen:
The layout was all there in front of us, we just had to rebuilt the kitchen onto the existing skeleton. First we replaced the carpet floor with linoleum/laminate:
Then we bought and installed cabinetry and countertops (Dan hates it when I use the word cabinetry – he thinks it should just be “cabinets”). Cabinetry, cabinetry, cabinetry:
We got the showpiece handles from Habitat for Humanity’s Re-Store:
Then we bought appliances – thank you kijiji for the stove, and Best Buy for the fridge. Then we bought and installed the backsplash (eye-catching if you ask me):
Then we installed the sink, installed the appliances, put on the rest of the cabinet doors and we were done!
I am using the royal “we” pretty liberally. But to be honest, Dan designed and built and installed almost all of it. He’s renovation superman, but doesn’t think he could make a go of it professionally because he’s too slow. (That’s because he’s a perfectionist). So now we’re done renovating.
Once we sell the furniture, we can start renting out the basement!