If you are regular reader of this blog, you will find numerous (some might even say, excessive) references to kijiji.ca.
I love this website.
This has been our first line of defence in liquidating our assets. [Some people use Craigslist, though I’ve found …uh, better success with kijiji. Fewer seedy people… fewer dirty underpants for sale… fewer ads for “massage parlours”].
Some tips for selling things online:
- Start early. The longer your stuff is out there, the better chance you have of catching the interest of someone who will pay you a fair price for it.
- Price fairly. Do your research to find out what your item was worth new, and what others like it are selling for online. You’ll get fewer people lecturing you on overpriced goods if you price your stuff reasonably.
- Post lots of pictures. People really do respond to the visual stimuli – use it to your advantage.
- Add lots of detail to your ads. When people have to ask for lots of information, it wastes your time and theirs, and delays prospective sales.
- Make your ad stand out. Tell a story. Give funny details. For example, I add the line: “Whatever you do, do not look at my other ads” to tease people into viewing my other ads.
- Reply promptly. The faster you reply to inquiries, the more success you’ll have capitalizing on people’s instant gratification reflex.
- Be prepared for low-ballers. There are some people out there just looking for the deal of a lifetime. They’ll offer you $10 for something worth $500. To combat this, decide ahead of time what is the lowest you’ll accept for a certain item, then politely reply with “Sorry, that’s too low for me.” Sassy responses only result in online harassment, so don’t waste your time.
- Negotiate price online. You’ll come out on top if you agree to a price ahead of time rather than negotiating at the door.
- Use common sense when setting up a meeting place. You can meet in a public place, take someone with you, let someone know where you’re going if you’re going alone. If you’re not comfortable with people calling and texting at all hours, don’t put your phone number on the ad.
- Be prepared for no-show-ers. I’d say about 1/3 of the people who say they’re coming to pick something up do not show up. You can email a reminder on the day of to remind people to show up. And be polite in following up with no-show-ers (i.e. Hey, I figure you’re not able to make it today. I hope everything is OK – let me know if you’d like to reschedule).
- Disregard the crazies. The internet is chock-full of loonies, lonlies, lollies and trolls. Don’t engage with ANYONE who baits you.
- Watch out for scams. There are jerks out there on the internet, making their livings stealing from you and me. Key words to tip you off to these people include Pay-pal, money transfer and requests not to text back. Do not engage. You can report them to kijiji and forget about it.
- Repost. Repost. Repost. As often as you can stand it, delete your old ad and repost it in as a new ad. It will keep your ads at the top of the pile and makes all the difference in the world. Do not leave old ads up, or make multiples of the same ad. Kijiji shoppers find that SUPER annoying.
Here is how we’ve done:
|Item||Asking Price||Amount received|
|Art||Three panel canvases||30||25|
|Blank canvas (1×3)||35||30|
|Pair of Massive Canvases||150||75|
|IKEA flower canvas||10||10|
|Beatrix Potter Art||50||20|
|Framed horse photo||30||20|
|Moroccan Canvas II||15||10|
|Scotland mounted poster||35||15|
|Collage Picture frame||40||25|
|Teal, Black and white canvas||125||120|
|Colourful Bedroom Canvas||125||50|
|Pair of Nautical Pics||40||30|
|Dog Painting in City Park||50||30|
|Sports and Outdoor||MEC Backpack||35||35|
|MEC Sleeping Bag||135||135|
|Women’s golf clubs||75||75|
|Air Mattress – single||20||15|
|Pair of Patio lounge chairs||50||40|
|Men’s MEC Sleeping Bag||85||50|
|Men’s Golf Clubs||500||500|
|Women’s Outdoor Cleats||30||30|
|Men’s Outdoor Cleats||30||30|
|Small Grey MEC Backpack||15||10|
|Orange OR Backpack||15||15|
|Large Blue MEC Backpack||15||10|
|Men’s Mountain Bike||225||150|
|Men’s Indoor Soccer Shoes||30||20|
|Joystick and Flight Sim Games||25||25|
|Other iPod Dock||30||20|
|Flat Screen Sony TV||175||175|
|Computer Speakers and Sub Woofer||15||10|
|Samsung Galaxy S3 – broken||30||30|
|Garage Space Heater||20||20|
|Purple iPod Dock||20||20|
|Bluetooth Earpieces x2||25||20|
|Books and Movies||Bibles||5||5|
|Black Stallion DVD Series||30||20|
|Disney VHS Collection||25||25|
|Piano Book – Les Mis||10||5|
|Piano Book – Hunchback, Newsies||20||20|
|The Office Season 9||10||10|
|Star Trek Seasons 1-3||100||50|
|Furniture||Craft Bin – black||15||15|
|Built-in Bookshelf – small||40||40|
|Oak coffee table||75||60|
|Green Couches (2)||175||125|
|Craft Bin – white||20||15|
|Four IKEA coffee tables||50||70|
|Red Wicker Chair||40||35|
|Little Filing Cabinet||10||10|
|IKEA Computer Desk||50||40|
|Rolling Office Chair||20||20|
|Dining Room Table (and 8 chairs)||600||300|
|Clothing||Tea Party Hat||50||30|
|Electric Can Opener||10||5|
|Electric Hand mixer||10||10|
|Cream Table Cloth||10||10|
|White/Green Dish set||60||60|
|Chevy Cobalt Car||1000||1000|
|Toyota Highlander SUV||5500||4500|
|RC Park Flyer Airplane||70||60|
|Settlers of Catan Seafareres||35||25|
|Air Master RC Float Plane||150||100|
|Battery and Charger||20||20|
|Pet Stuff||Cat Tree – blue||35||35|
|Fish Tank – fully loaded||100||90|
|Bin of dog balls||15||10|
|Dog collars and bed||40||35|
|Leash, poop bags, clippers||10||5|
|Pair of teal lamps||35||30|
|Pair of lampshades||30||15|
|Trio of lanterns||35||35|
|Belt and Disc Sander||50||50|
|Steel Toed Work Boots||100||40|
|Home Décor||Red Couch Pillows||35||20|
|Nautical Reversible Duvet Cover||10||10|
|Queen Duvet Cover and shams||30||30|
|Single French Horn||250||200|
|House Plants||5 to 25||3 to 15|
|Office Chair Mat||15||5|
|Cream Area Rug||100||80|
|Teal Area Rug||225||180|
|Kitchen Faucet (1 handle)||40||30|
|Kitchen Faucet (2 handled)||20||20|
|Carry On Suitcase||15||15|